I have been thru airport security and customs countless times, and never had trouble except as a young child, I had to get wanded because I had light up shoes. But since then no trouble, I’ve travel solo and wit large groups but today was the first time I was very worried. I am a very good traveler alway very careful to abide by the rules of air travel. No liquids bigger then 3 oz, no nail clippers or anything that could be used as a weapon. Well today I get to hang out with the Memphis TSA staff a little longer than is usual. I put my bag on the conveyer belt and stepped thru the scanner with no problem. A very nice lady pulled my bag from the X-ray machine and asked if it was mine and I politely said “yes” she then told me she need to have a look in my bag. I told her that was fine. She set my bag on a table and then asked “do you have a knife in your bag ma’am?” I shock my head and said “no ma’am”. She then opened up my bad and pulled out my 7 inch fixed blade Kabar.


I am fairly certain I turned white and then bright red with embarrassment. I promise you and them that I had no idea it was in that bag, plus I used that exact bag to get to Mississippi five days ago and the airport in Kalispell did not find it. I was shocked at my oversight and the other airports. I tried to assure them it was accidental and that if they had to confiscate it I was not going to get upset.

As I stood there wondering my fate I see them take my knife to a different security table off the one side and then begin to search thru some drawers until they pulled out a lime green ruler with half the measurements worn off. Then the lady who searched my bag says we may have to call a “LEO” (law enforcement officer) if it’s to big. Honestly lady it’s pretty stinking big. I thought to myself. I tried to stay calm but by this point I’m kinda freaked out. At this point I catch sight of my parent s who look very confused as to what is going on. I try to explain what’s happening across twenty feet of space between us. I mouth “I forgot my kabar in my bag” which took several tries for my mom to lip read. It took three TSA agent several minutes to decide what to do with me but one of them noticed I was talking to someone and asked if they where my parents and I said yes. Then someone who seamed to be incharge came and said “we don’t have to call anyone. Can we give this to your parents?” I apologized profusely and said they could give it to my parents. But I was about half an inch of steel from being taken to 201 poplar in a private lighted carriage ride. That was enought travel excitement for me.

I can guarantee you that before I pack a bag to take to the airport I will be flipping it upside down and vigorously shaking it before I start packing.

Well, until then…